Skip to main content

Northern Thailand 2017 - Chiang Mai Part 6

It was our last day in Chiang Mai, and we had a free day without a car nor tour guide. I had wanted to look at some northern Thailand fabric and crafts so we went to Warorot Market. This market is quite large and is famous for fabric and craft supplies as well as food for souvenir. On the main floor, there were many vendors selling dry food items, and we bought a few packages of pork rinds. Their pork rinds tasted better than the ones you can find in Indonesia. And much cheaper too! I also bought a pack of 10 small Mango Pocky for souvenir. It turned out though, at the Tao Kae Noi store the Pockys were slightly cheaper.

The market building was so big and I didn't get to explore it well. I didn't find too many fabric stores either, I'm sure I wasn't looking in the right area. Nevertheless, just outside the market on a side street, there were stores selling trims and small accessories. It was so exciting! I had learnt from my trip to Mangga Dua in Jakarta not too long before that we did not have good selection of trims available locally. Prices were not low, but they were better quality.





There were many vendors on the street selling these pompoms with bright colours for accessories. They are crafts made by Hmong people.




If you want to buy Hmong souvenirs, the Hmong Market is the place to go. Just follow the google map location and you will find an outdoor market under tarp. Nowhere else in Thailand did I find these items with such prices. Outside this market you will find the same items double, triple, or even quadruple the prices you would pay here. I ended up buying fabric already hand embroidered to make a skirt. A very full skirt. I love it!




We didn't spend too much time there as the weather became too hot for my mom. We called Uber and left the market...




Originally, I had planned to go to Nakara Jardin Bistro & Salon de The, but it was just our luck that it was closed when we got there. Luckily our uber driver was willing to take use somewhere else, we ended up at Hard Rock Cafe Chiang Mai.






I finally had the chance to search for "Specialty Coffee in Chiang Mai" on Google, so we headed out to Ristr8to. It seemed like this was the most famous of all. At first I asked our Uber to take us to Ristr8to Lab, but again, this was closed. Luckily they have another location nearby. We walked over and ordered our coffee. They had so many different options in terms of coffee.... so between me and my mom we had 4 servings of coffee in an hour! Lol... They were all good, btw.












From Ristr8to we walked along the same street until we reached Think Park. It's not much of a park but more like a collection of small boutique stores. Somewhere in that park my mom lost her brand new Tom Ford shades. Ouch.


















After Think Park, we hurriedly crossed over to Maya Mall because it started drizzling... They had a few Elephant Parade statues on display inside the mall.



The drizzle turned out to be a huge rain, and when we were leaving the mall for dinner we found... flood! We walked to Cherng Doi Roast Chicken. We got our shoes soaked, but the food was pretty good! :D


The next morning was our trip to Chiang Rai. We were picked up by the same tour guide and we made a stop at Akha Ama Coffee on the way. Akha Ama is not only famous for their coffee drinks but also for how they support the local Northern Thai farmers. I bought a small pack of their beans back for my friend at Nagadi Coffee. :)




Please follow our journey to Chiang Rai on the next posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nintendo Switch Sleeve Tutorial

Hi! I'm Kirana from woofkiki.blogspot.co.id . I am going to write an introduction for this blog post. We bought a Nintendo Switch in Japan.  I really liked it and played with it almost everyday. If you're wondering what a Nintendo Switch is, it is a video game where you can basically  "switch" everything. The joy-cons and even the game! You can also connect it to your TV. It would be nice to bring it around with you, but when you put it in your bag... Oh no! The screen scratched! So, this is a sleeve that will fix that. Let's get started!😊 Kirana Now the tutorial (by Kirana's mom)... 1. Make your pattern according to the picture below. It is basically a 6"x24" rectangle with a semi circle at one end. Note: this is not a printable pattern 1. Cut your outer fabric, lining, and batting(optional). In this tutorial, I used minky for lining and a pre-quilted fabric for the cover, so I didn't need extra batting. For batting, I recomm

Labuan Bajo 2023 Part 3 - 3 Days 2 Nights Diving Trip With Chakana Liveaboard

  Photo credit: Lukas Rissing @thestudypacker A live-aboard experience is one of the highlights of Labuan Bajo. It has been on my bucket list for a while but every time I tried to go, something just didn't work out.... until now! The opportunity arose to join an impressive-looking boat this year and the dates matched Miss Kiki's holiday perfectly, how could I not take this rare chance! With less than a month to prepare, we booked plane tickets, accommodations, and whatever equipment we thought we might need. So off we flew to Labuan Bajo with little preparation and a lot of faith. ;) You can read the first and second parts of the trip in my previous posts. After we checked out of our hotel on the third day, we went to the pier and hopped on to a dinghy that took us to Chakana Liveaboard, a 47-meter-long phinisi-style yacht that was going to be our accommodation for the next two nights. My heart raced as we approached the pretty boat and spotted a group of staff excitedly wavi

Labuan Bajo 2023 Part 2 - Leisure Day Trip

I booked a leisure day trip for our second day in Labuan Bajo via Traveloka . When I say leisure, I meant a non-diving trip. We have a live onboard trip booked for the 3rd to the 5th day but that one is a diving trip covering different places and adventures so we tried to cram the other must-visits of Komodo National Park in one day. For breakfast that morning, we had breakfast boxes that the resort had prepared for us by order. The tour was operated by East Cruise Komodo and it was an open trip consisting of thirty-something people. East Cruise Komodo picked us up at Sudamala Resort where we stayed at 5:30 am and brought us to the harbour. The re-registration process at the harbour took about half an hour and after we were assigned a boat, we boarded. On the boat, our tour leader collected what was supposed to be the entrance fee for the National Komodo Park. It was IDR 150k per person for locals and IDR 300k per person for foreigners. We never saw the tickets but later on, we foun