Skip to main content

Weekend in Kuala Lumpur June 2015

DH had a workshop to attend in KL, Malaysia this week, so we decided to go there on the weekend and make it a mini vacation... sans Miss Kiki.

We were going to take Malaysian Airlines because they had a good deal, but by the time we were going to purchase the tickets, they became quite expensive we ended up taking Air Asia instead. To be honest I like taking Air Asia better because Terminal 3 is much better in terms of line ups and seating areas.

Our flight took off and arrived relatively on time, and we arrived at the new KLIA 2 and took the KLIA express train to KL Central. The ticket cost RM 35 per trip, and DH bought me a round trip ticket.

At the KLIA 2 station waiting for the express train
On the express train
We arrived at the KL Central in the afternoon and went straight to check in at the hotel. We chose the Aloft hotel this time, and again, we bought the hotel vouchers at TX Travel Ambassador. Best value we could find.

The Aloft hotel is part of the Starwood chain, but the feel is very different from Sheraton. It is modern and colourful, almost like a boutique hotel. Our check-in process was very slow... they definitely can improve on that. We liked the room, it was spacious and well designed. Another thing they could improve on was the cleaning service. One of the towels they provided was dirty. Not the tough stains kind, but an actual stain that hadn't been washed. I called in to get it replaced and informed them to just enter the room as we were on the way out to have lunch. In the evening we came back and the towel had not been replaced yet. Boo hoo!

So lets backtrack a bit....

For lunch we decided on a food stall on Brickfields, about 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel. 5 minutes if you walk fast. I had Won Ton Mee and DH had Char Kway Teow. Both are good. At the same place, I had the saddest soursop juice I've ever seen... A spoon of soursop with a glassful of water.... Not exactly what I expected for juice almost the same price as a meal.

Going up the crossing bridge
Sad soursop juice
Coffee
Char Kway Teow
Char Kway Teow

For dinner that evening we went to Jalan Alor (Alor Street) where they have a long row of restaurants and hawkers. They all smelled and looked so good, but we went to one Chinese restaurant recommended by a local friend: Restoran Wong Ah Wah (W.A.W) 黄亚华烧鸡翅

We ordered a grilled stingray, sotong (squid) with salted egg, and one of my favourite vegetable dish: kang kung balacan. The fish and squid was absolutely delicious, and I thought the kang kung did too. DH is not a big fan of kang kung in general, but he loved the seafood. Beware, the service is super slow here so don't go there hungry.

Kang Kung Balacan
Grilled Stingray

After dinner we walked along Jalan Alor to Bukit Bintang area. We saw some interesting stuff along the way...

Frogs
The hotel voucher we purchased included breakfast for two, so we had breakfast at the hotel. It was actually quite good! Not as good as the Fairmont Sanur, but better than The Laguna. I tried a new dish there for breakfast, it was a tomato stew with sausages, along with poached eggs. Very interesting! DH also got to use some muscles squeezing oranges :D

Squeezing oranges
Then we headed to  Old China Cafe in near Chinatown. We decided to try Uber there, and we were driven by a very quiet young man. At the cafe, I was hoping for some toast but they did not have them. The food they served were more lunch and dinner type. We did get to try their Malacca Style Coffee though, they said the beans were roasted with butter.

Their building has an interesting history, and their decorations would be quite interesting for antique lovers.





After the cafe we went on to Bukit Bintang area again. The first Uber experience was good, so we decided to use it again. This time we were driven by a very talkative man. Lol... 

We were dropped off at the Pavilion, and we walked along the strip of malls there. With the current RM rate, everything felt expensive there. I got tired so we walked back to the Pavilion and I decided to have lunch. I opted for Nasi Lemak at Madam Kwan's in the lower ground level. The price is steep for Nasi Lemak, but I have to admit it was a good one. 

After lunch I spotted these snack counter and I just couldn't resist. It was a peanut-filled rice cake rolled in sesame seeds, and sweet potato balls. In Bandung, I had sweet potato balls and I love them! They were like ping pong balls, hollow on the inside. These ones though, were not hollow. I was disappointed. The rice cake was okay though. Just what I expected.



In front of Pavilion




The Petronas towers
We continued walking around at the KLCC shopping centre and met up with my old friend for dinner. No pictures! :(

Anyway, the next morning I went back to Jakarta, but not before stopping by at an Indian fabric store called Sri Kumaran recommended by our friend's friend. It turned out to be just right across our hotel parkade. I got myself a pretty sari fabric and Miss Kiki an outfit. Arriving early morning was a good idea at the store. They just opened so they were more willing to get me a better price. I got my sari for less than half the posted price, which is less than what was estimated by my friend. So I'm quite happy with my purchase... Here are some pictures of the sari..... I hope you enjoyed it, until next time!
Miss Kiki still in her PJs trying on her outfit
Sari fabric

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nintendo Switch Sleeve Tutorial

Hi! I'm Kirana from woofkiki.blogspot.co.id . I am going to write an introduction for this blog post. We bought a Nintendo Switch in Japan.  I really liked it and played with it almost everyday. If you're wondering what a Nintendo Switch is, it is a video game where you can basically  "switch" everything. The joy-cons and even the game! You can also connect it to your TV. It would be nice to bring it around with you, but when you put it in your bag... Oh no! The screen scratched! So, this is a sleeve that will fix that. Let's get started!😊 Kirana Now the tutorial (by Kirana's mom)... 1. Make your pattern according to the picture below. It is basically a 6"x24" rectangle with a semi circle at one end. Note: this is not a printable pattern 1. Cut your outer fabric, lining, and batting(optional). In this tutorial, I used minky for lining and a pre-quilted fabric for the cover, so I didn't need extra batting. For batting, I recomm

Labuan Bajo 2023 Part 3 - 3 Days 2 Nights Diving Trip With Chakana Liveaboard

  Photo credit: Lukas Rissing @thestudypacker A live-aboard experience is one of the highlights of Labuan Bajo. It has been on my bucket list for a while but every time I tried to go, something just didn't work out.... until now! The opportunity arose to join an impressive-looking boat this year and the dates matched Miss Kiki's holiday perfectly, how could I not take this rare chance! With less than a month to prepare, we booked plane tickets, accommodations, and whatever equipment we thought we might need. So off we flew to Labuan Bajo with little preparation and a lot of faith. ;) You can read the first and second parts of the trip in my previous posts. After we checked out of our hotel on the third day, we went to the pier and hopped on to a dinghy that took us to Chakana Liveaboard, a 47-meter-long phinisi-style yacht that was going to be our accommodation for the next two nights. My heart raced as we approached the pretty boat and spotted a group of staff excitedly wavi

Labuan Bajo 2023 Part 2 - Leisure Day Trip

I booked a leisure day trip for our second day in Labuan Bajo via Traveloka . When I say leisure, I meant a non-diving trip. We have a live onboard trip booked for the 3rd to the 5th day but that one is a diving trip covering different places and adventures so we tried to cram the other must-visits of Komodo National Park in one day. For breakfast that morning, we had breakfast boxes that the resort had prepared for us by order. The tour was operated by East Cruise Komodo and it was an open trip consisting of thirty-something people. East Cruise Komodo picked us up at Sudamala Resort where we stayed at 5:30 am and brought us to the harbour. The re-registration process at the harbour took about half an hour and after we were assigned a boat, we boarded. On the boat, our tour leader collected what was supposed to be the entrance fee for the National Komodo Park. It was IDR 150k per person for locals and IDR 300k per person for foreigners. We never saw the tickets but later on, we foun